Today, Apple seeded another round of new beta software, including iOS 9.3 beta 2, Mac OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan beta 2, watchOS 2.2 beta 2, and of course, tvOS 9.2 beta 2. This new round comes exactly on schedule, two weeks after the first round.
tvOS 9.2, like just about everything else in this beta cycle, includes a number of new features for a minor update. The main features are the ability to pair a Bluetooth keyboard and app folders.
The new Podcasts app has a bit to do with it; however, Apple reintroduced Apple TV to Podcasts with the now public tvOS 9.1.1. Despite showing up in search results, the new Podcasts app still doesn’t support video podcasts, which is odd since you’d think that’s where they would start on a television box.
Then again, Apple promised to deliver iOS 9 to every device that ran iOS 8 but didn’t even deliver iOS 8.4 to the third generation Apple TV and iOS 8.4 was the Apple Music update. You would think that an entertainment update wouldn’t be the one where they choose to end support for an entertainment box.
There doesn’t seem to be anything new in the second iteration of this minor update. If I find anything, I’ll let you know. In the meantime, here are the release notes:
The tvOS SDK leverages many of the same frameworks and technologies that you’re already using for iOS development. However, please note that all libraries and frameworks used in your tvOS apps must be built for tvOS, including any 3rd-party libraries. Do not link your tvOS app against frameworks or libraries that are not built with tvOS. Attempting to do so will result in a build failure. Furthermore, bitcode is now required for all tvOS apps. All apps and frameworks in the app bundle must include bitcode.
tvOS SDK 9.2 Beta 2 provides support for developing tvOS apps. It’s packaged with a complete set of Xcode tools, compilers, and frameworks for creating apps for tvOS. These tools include the Xcode IDE and the Instruments analysis tool, among many others.
This version of tvOS is intended for installation only on devices registered with the Apple Developer Program. Attempting to install this version of tvOS in an unauthorized manner could put your device in an unusable state.
About tvOS 9.2
tvOS 9.2 includes new features, bug fixes, and improvements in the OS and SDK.
New features in tvOS 9.2 Beta 2 include:
- iCloud Photo Library
- Live Photos support
- Conference Room Display Mode
New features and enhancements in tvOS 9.2 Beta 1 include:
- Bluetooth Keyboard support
- Folders support for grouping apps on Home screen
- MapKit support
- Siri support for US Spanish (in US only) and French Canadian (in Canada only)
- Siri support for UK English, Australian English and US English available across the UK, Australian and US Storefronts when English is set as the system language
- Updated App Switcher UI
In addition, a profile on the developer portal is now available to update Apple TV directly from tvOS 9.1 to tvOS 9.2 Beta 2. More details are available under Installation Instructions.
Please test your apps with this Beta and file bug reports as needed.
For issues not mentioned in the Notes and Known Issues section, please file bugs through the Apple
Developer website https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/. Additionally, you may discuss these
Notes and Known Issues
Devices can’t be prepared for management with Apple Configurator.
- Third party app icons do not appear inside folders.
- When cancelling out of the creation of a new folder, an app may still appear embedded inside of the folder. Workaround: Add the app back into the folder without cancelling, and then remove it from the folder.
iCloud Photo Library
- If you are already logged into an iCloud account on Apple TV, you will not be prompted to enter a password to enable iCloud Photo Library.
- Photos can crash when scrolling back to the top while loading the library.
Support for libstdc++ has been removed from the tvOS SDK beginning with tvOS 9.2. Workaround: Update your app to use libc++.
Visual artifacts may be present in the Simulator when zooming in and out with MapKit views.
- Playing a video Podcast from the Podcast Store may not display the video. Workaround: Press Menu, and then select Now Playing.
- Playing a video Podcast from My Podcasts may result in the video not being displayed. Workaround: Relaunch the Podcasts app.
TestFlight uploads for Internal Testing of tvOS 9.2 beta builds are not supported in this release.
- UITabBarItems with text colors set with an appearance proxy now display the intended color.
- UITextField now displays the color set with textColor. Text colors set in Interface Builder now appear on-device and in the simulator.
Chapters whose language is not set now appear in the Info pane.