Today, Apple went hog wild in releasing betas. By this point, I know what you’re thinking. “Rich, why don’t you write about them all in one article?” I’m glad you asked. It’s because I publish the release notes in each one. This one covers tvOS 9.2 beta.
Yes, the Podcasts app is back. BOOM!
Also news is that Apple released the iOS and tvOS betas in a new way. Rather than releasing images that the developer must flash to his device, in tvOS’s case, resetting it, Apple has released configuration files that allows the developer to receive the updates OTA, much like the public beta program. To be clear, Mac OS and watchOS betas have always worked this way.
While for the iOS beta, the user could simply email the file to himself and open it on his iPhone, tvOS works differently. The user must use the Apple Configurator tool to install the profile.
Another interesting thing to note is that Apple offered instructions for installing the configuration file on an Apple TV 2 or Apple TV 3, despite this update not supporting those devices. In fact, it’s fairly obvious that the third generation model isn’t supported anymore.
Want to know what else is new? Check out the release notes below.
The tvOS SDK leverages many of the same frameworks and technologies that you’re already using for iOS development. However, please note that all libraries and frameworks used in your tvOS apps must be built for tvOS, including any 3rd-party libraries. Do not link your tvOS app against frameworks or libraries that are not built with tvOS. Attempting to do so will result in a build failure. Furthermore, bitcode is now required for all tvOS apps. All apps and frameworks in the app bundle must include bitcode.
tvOS SDK 9.2 Beta 1 provides support for developing tvOS apps. It’s packaged with a complete set of Xcode tools, compilers, and frameworks for creating apps for tvOS. These tools include the Xcode IDE and the Instruments analysis tool, among many others.
This version of tvOS is intended for installation only on devices registered with the Apple Developer Program. Attempting to install this version of tvOS in an unauthorized manner could put your device in an unusable state.
About tvOS 9.2
tvOS 9.2 includes new features, bug fixes, and improvements in the OS and SDK.
New features and enhancements include:
- Bluetooth Keyboard support
- Folders support for grouping apps on Home screen
- MapKit support
- Siri support for US Spanish (in US only) and French Canadian (in Canada only)
- Siri support for UK English, Australian English and US English available across the UK, Australian and US Storefronts when English is set as the system language
- Updated App Switcher UI
In addition, a profile on the developer portal is now available to update Apple TV directly from tvOS 9.1 to tvOS 9.2 Beta 1. More details are available under Installation Instructions.
Please test your apps with this Beta and file bug reports as needed.
For issues not mentioned in the Notes and Known Issues section, please file bugs through the Apple Developer website https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/. Additionally, you may discuss these issues and tvOS SDK 9.2 in the Apple Developer Forums at https:// forums.developer.apple.com/community/pre-release/tvos-beta.
Notes and Known Issues
- Third party app icons do not appear inside folders.
- When cancelling out of the creation of a new folder, an app may still appear embedded inside of the folder. Workaround: Add the app back into the folder without cancelling, and then remove it from the folder.
Support for libstdc++ has been removed from the tvOS SDK beginning with tvOS 9.2. Workaround: Update your app to use libc++.
Visual artifacts may be present in the Simulator when zooming in and out with MapKit views.
- Search is temporarily unavailable on the Podcasts Store.
- Now playing screen is blank during playback.
- Setup may restart after choosing a Region for the first time.
- Signing into an iCloud Account with two factor authentication enabled may cause Setup to restart. Workaround: Use Setup with Device to set up your iCloud Account, or skip signin during setup, then sign in to the iCloud account through Settings.
- UITabBarItems with text colors set with an appearance proxy now display the intended color.
- UITextField now displays the color set with textColor. Text colors set in Interface Builder now appear on-device and in the simulator.
Chapters whose language is not set now appear in the Info pane.