By Rich W Woods
I’m happy to admit that I am a proud owner of an Amazon Fire Phone. I am one of the few that actually gave it a good review, and for good reason. It’s a beautiful, smooth phone. It’s lacking Google services, but then again, so is Windows Phone, which I’m also a strong supporter of.
I had thought that Amazon gave up on this thing. I check for updates once in a while and it always says the last update was October, 2014.
Well, today Amazon has announced Fire OS 4.6.1:
The latest software version includes new and enhanced features:
- Support for Bluetooth Low EnergyFire phone now supports Bluetooth Low Energy technology. To learn more, go to Connect to Bluetooth.
- Change the wallpaper on the Home screenYou can now change the Home screen wallpaper to a different color or use your own image. To learn more, go to Change the Home Screen Wallpaper.
- Lock screen notification improvementsView previews of new notifications on the lock screen and manage which apps can show previews on the lock screen. To learn more, go to View & Manage Notifications.
- Additional keyboard optionsAmazon’s keyboard now includes color emoji. Choose from hundreds of emoji characters to make your e-mail and multimedia messages fun and personal. You can also change the default keyboard on your Fire phone with another compatible keyboard downloaded from the Amazon Appstore. To learn more, go to Customize Your Language & Keyboard.
- Convert video clips into lenticular images and set HDR to autoRecord video clips and automatically convert them into a lenticular image to share with others or use on the lock screen. With HDR turned to auto, your phone’s camera also determines whether a scene needs HDR and captures it to create a rich, detailed image. To learn more, go to Take Photos & Personal Videos.
- Smarter calling optionsManage up to five people on a conference call, delete all previous calls in your history, and more. To learn more, go to Make & Receive Phone Calls.
- Messaging improvementsDelete or forward multiple messages in a conversation, swipe to delete conversations in your Inbox, and modify your messaging settings with new options, such as the ability to change the text size of your messages. To learn more, go to Send, Read & Manage Messages.
- Choose different colors for calendar eventsIf you have multiple e-mail accounts synced with your phone, you can assign a color for each account. When you select a new color for an account, your calendar events appear in that color. To learn more, go to General Settings for Email, Contacts, and Calendar.
- Print from your Fire phoneYou can now print personal documents, e-mails, contact details, and calendar events from your Fire phone to your compatible HP, Epson, or Canon printers. To learn more, go to Print From Your Fire Phone.
- Enhanced enterprise featuresWith support for secure work Wi-Fi networks, single sign-on for corporate networks, and AES-256 bit hardware encryption, your Fire phone is ready for more work. To learn more, go to Protect Your Fire Phone with Encryption and Set Up a VPN.
- Accessibility improvementsEasily manage your closed caption settings across the device and enjoy new Screen Reader features—such as independent volume controls and faster reading speed options—when you use the accessibility options on your Fire phone. To learn more, go to Accessibility Features.
- Bug fixes and user interface improvementsDozens of other bug fixes and user interface improvements.